Saturday, June 4, 2016

Mask It - Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Entry

Now that it's summer I have a little more time to join in challenges and craft more. This week on Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday Challenge the theme is "Mask It". ! I love using masking techniques to stretch my stamps and morph them into another completely different image. For this challenge I used the Birthday Bear set from My Favorite Things.



Below are the steps I used to create my card.





I stamped the large bear image holding the presents with my Misti onto masking paper.





I then cut the present away from the bear.





I stamped another image of the top of the bear with the presents on the BACK side of the masking paper.





I cut the presents away from the bear and it is this piece that I will use to do my masking. I want the sticky side of the masking paper to be in the front of the image instead of behind the image because I need the mirror image of the presents to make this work. If I don't use the mirror image, then my mask will not cover all the lines of the present in the right place. (I found this out the hard way.) 





I placed the masked presents over the presents on the stamp before inking the bear. I didn't want the mask to fall off so I secured the two sides with tape to be sure it didn't move. After inking the bear, I removed the masking and tape.





I stamped the bear onto my card panel and now have the image of the bear without the presents.





Next, I place the masked bear I made in step one over my stamped bear image so I can stamp the smaller bear on top of this image.





I place the small bear stamp right where I want it in the larger bear's arms and pick it up with my Misti tool.





I stamp the small bear onto the paper and here you can see what it looks like before I remove the masking over the large bear.





After removing the masked large bear, this is the image I am left with and it's exactly what I wanted.





Here again is my completed card. I colored the bears with Copic markers E33, E35 and E57, the inside of their ears with R83 and their noses with BV29.  I then watercolored the background with a Zig marker. When my panel was completely dry, I used my masks to cover the bears and splattered Black Soot Distress Paint over the panel using the Tim Holtz Splatter Brush. I then added my sentiment, colored the heart with a red Zig marker and added Glossy Accents over the heart to give it dimension.

I hope you enjoyed seeing how I made my card using masking techniques.

If you would like to join in the fun, head over to Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday Challenge Blog by clicking on the image of Simon below and check out all the inspiration and get masking!!








1 comment:

  1. hello Cathie! this is awesome, great job and thanks for the instructions! I am so glad you played along with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!

    blog-paperie blooms
    ig-2klines

    sparkle & shine, kindness *~*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...